After indulging a little last night...okay okay a LOT.. I decided to create a more healthy way to start off the week. I love starting my day with oatmeal or any type of whole grain; the fiber keeps you full and gives me the energy to get through a very long day at school! I have never made these so the recipe might get some tweaks in the future, but for now here we go!
Whole Wheat English Muffins
1/2 tsp. dry active yeast
1/2 Tb. sugar
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 Tb. vital wheat gluten
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. (scant) canola oil
1 Tb. Earth Balance
1) In small bowl, combine yeast, sugar and water- whisk with a fork until sugar dissolves. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2) Combine the flour, vital wheat gluten, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
3) Mix the wet with the dry mixture until just combined. Knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes.
4) Grease another bowl with the oil and place the dough ball in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for about an hour.
5) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and preheat a heavy skillet on medium heat.
6) Punch down the dough and roll to about 1/2" thickness.
7) With a large coffee cup, cut out 4 muffins.
8) Melt the Earth Balance in the skillet. Cook the muffins one minute on each side.
9) Place directly onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
10) Allow to cool completely- then either toast or slather with jam!