I have gotten bit by the Spring bug- enjoying the sun and all the budding flowers! Although Spring is just around the corner, I still get those Fall flavor cravings such as apple pie. I thought about making a big pie for dessert, but I decided on going with mini pies! For some reason eating a mini makes gives me the satisfaction of indulging, without going overboard. (Unless you make 3 or 4 "tester" pies, and eat those too...not like I would ever do that... umm...moving on!)
Here we go!
Whole Wheat Mini Apple Pie
makes two individual pies
1/2 Granny Smith apple diced (cored, and peeled)
1/2 Tbs pure maple syrup
Dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger
1/2 Tbs arrowroot powder
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 Tbs all purpose flour
2 Tbs vegan margarine (Earth Balance works best)
2 Tbs vegan vegetable shortening
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1-3 Tbs ice cold water
Pie Dough Instructions:
1) Combine all ingredients (except ice cold water) in a food processor. Pulse until pea size balls of dough form.
2) Slowly drizzle in the ice water just until dough forms a ball.
3) Flatten the dough into a disk on a fluored counter, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least thirty minutes.
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease 2 wells of a large muffin pan (Texas sized muffins)
2) Roll out the dough on a floured counter to about 1/4" thick.
3) With a large coffee mug, cut out 4 large circles. Press one circle of dough into each of the wells, adding more dough to move up the sides.
4) Divide the filling between the two wells and top with the reserved dough, pinching the sides.
5) Score the tops of the pies to vent the steam.
6) Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.